Make 35: Embroidered Tree Surcoat

 

Paul’s been on about a tree surcoat for his larp character forever. Well, maybe about a year. There was a long debate about fabric. Many sketches ensued. He spent hours and hours getting the design right, and to his credit it’s turned out nicely. I can’t bear a tree with droopy roots…

 

surcoat-3

 

We had lots of fun and games getting the embroidery machine to play ball. We spent an entire evening tearing our hair out, wondering what was amiss. Turns out it was a dodgy spool of thread! Once that was sorted, it was onto the coat design. The basic coat shape came from a Simplicity pattern. I had made one mandarin collar before, but for a different sized coat, so it was literally back to the drawing board.

 

surcoat-1

He wanted side flares to give more swoosh (I reckon he wants to smuggle things. I think smuggle might be my favourite word). Another learning curve for me. I think most of this year has been curved 🙂

 .                     surcoat-2

 

He’s happy. I’m happy. The embroidery machine is happy. Everyone’s happy! Happy Sunday!

15138555_1213406085385844_4376903427833516518_o

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.